Adia
by Eternal SailorM

Author's Note: This is a work of original fics. The only thing I don't own is the song "Adia"; it's by Sarah McLachlan off the album Building a Mystery. Steal my original characters and I'll have to hunt you down and hurt you - A LOT!!!

I stare at the woman across the room, still not quite able to believe my eyes. She's here, oh my gods, she's really here! With a small enigmatic smile, she tosses her aquamarine hair over her shoulder. She knows I'm here; she knows I'm watching her every move, my breath caught in my throat, completely subject to her every whim.

I sigh as I watch her, contented merely to be able to see her again, to hear her silvery laugh. My eyes narrow. I don't like that man next to her; he's too close, he shouldn't have his hand on her arm like that. He's going to die, I promise myself, but that is for later. Right now, I only want to continue my silent vigal beside the woman I love.

As if in a dream, I hear her laughing voice drift over to me. "...Mika? Mika wouldn't care!"

But I do, I can't help defending myself.

"And besides, Mika's old news!"

Itai. And delivered with such a calm perfectly regal face. Koi-chan, how could you? But these thoughts are useless because I am too afraid to ever say them to her, to her face, on the phone, anything. My perfect regal Amerikajin beauty.

The man beside her leans closer again, and my fist sqeezes shut and I long to pummel his face in under he's no longer so bishounen. But I can't and I won't, but I can tell her...

Another small sigh as I set down my glass and cross the room. With an effort, I avoid the group she's standing in, though I cannot help but be hurt as she completely ignores me, and step up to the piano that is sitting in wait for my touch. There is a sound of applause as I sit down, and I risk a look in her direction. Finally she is looking at me. The bishounen still talks on obliviously beside her as our eyes meet for the first time in years.

I missed you, I can't help thinking.

We are both ignoring the announcer as he speaks in careful English, "Ladies and gentlemen, it seems that Touma Mika-san is going to grace us with a song tonight after all..." I continue to ignore him, staring into aquamarine eyes surrounded by hair the same color. Oh, koi-chan...

Relunctantly, I break her gaze and look at my fingers on the keys. I spent the last few years improving my already very good English so that I could sing this song to her when we next met. I've practiced it and practiced this song until I have gone hoarse and my fingers bled. Even though the sheet music sits before me, I have no need for it; I have committed this song to heart. I bite back my nervousness and let the song begin.

Adia, I do believe I've failed you.
Adia, I know I've let you down.
Don't you know I tried so hard
To love you in my way?
It's easy;
Let it go.

I dart my eyes back into the audience. She's gone! No, she's just moved closer. Gods, koi-chan, please...

Adia, I missed you since you left me,
Trying to find a way to carry on.
Search myself and everyone,
To see where we went wrong.
There's no one left to finger,

She's close enough now that I can hear her giggle. I found that part amusing to when I first heard this song. The bishounen has moved up close to her. She ignores him, instead keeping her eyes on me.

There's no one here to blame,
There's no one left to talk to, honey,
And there ain't no one to bar our innocence...

'Cause we are born innocent.
Believe me, Adia,
We are still innocent.
It's easy; we are faltered,
But does it matter?

Her eyes tighten. Gods, I knew that I shouldn't have risked this song! No... She's going to leave, and I'll never get this chance again! Please, please, please, stay!

Aida, I thought that we could make it,
I know I can't change the way you feel.
I'll leave you with your misery,
Your friend who won't betray.
Pull you from your tower,
Take away your pain,
Show you all the beauty you'd possess
If you'd only let yourself believe

That we are born innocent.
Believe me, Adia,
We are still innocent.
It's easy; we are faltered,
But does it matter?

'Cause we are born innocent
Believe me, Adia,
We are still innocent.
It's easy; we are faltered,
But does it matter?

Believe me, Adia,
We are still innocent.
'Cause we are born innocent.
Believe me, Adia,
We are still innocent.
It's easy; we are faltered,
But does it matter?

Only once the song is finished do I dare another look. She's gone. Nonononono... Mika no baka! I jump to my feet and run for the one door to the wide room. I have to talk to her; that's the only thing that matters anymore. "Adia!" I scream, willing my feet to go faster as I burst through the outer doors into the parking areas.

My heart retreads back to some far off part of my body as I stare in horror. The red lights paint the blood an even more devilish, terrifying color as it seeps through her hair where she lays on the concrete. "No..." For once, my voice does not want to work; my whole body seems to be frozen. "Oh, gods, no... Adia... Adia!!!"


"Adia!!!" I scream, bolting awake, sweat pouring down my body. Yume... the part of my brain that is still rational states. A dream. My heart cannot discredit it quite so quickly.

Adia... My best friend at the American school I'd attended, the woman I'd lived with, eaten with, ... been with most of every day I was in America. I thought I'd placed her far enough back in my memories that those events would never bother me again. For that dream to come back... Something must be happening to her across that wide ocean between us.

I didn't protect her then, but by the gods, I would protect her now. No matter what that meant. Death would not take her yet. Not if I have anything to say about it.